Re: Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

  • From: James Baldwin
  • Date: Wed Apr 27 17:12:43 2005
On 27 Apr 2005, at 06:07, Owen DeLong wrote:

ISPs transport packets. That's what they do. That's what most consumers
pay them to do. I haven't actually seen a lot of consumers asking for
protected internet. I've seen lots of marketing hype pushing it, but,
very little actual consumer demand. Sure, the hype will probably generate
eventual demand, but, so far, it hasn't really.
I'm not sure I agree with this statement. Our customers are retained based on our value added services, including protected internet initiatives, more than for the Internet service we provide. Internet service is becoming commoditized to the end user, with multiple choices at competitive pricing in many markets. Consumers within single provider markets might expect ISPs to only "transport" packets, however in multi vendor markets the ISPs are being chosen for offerings above and beyond network access.

This is becoming especially true for companies like AOL, which are attempting to move their value added services independently of their Internet access in anticipation of dropping profit margins on network access as well as an attempt to break into new single vendor markets. Moving packets is no longer enough for ISPs.

If customer retention is based on value added services then consumers are making market decisions based on more than network transit. I expect NSPs to transport packets. I expect ISPs to provide Internet services, including security services.