Re: Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Wed Apr 27 06:09:15 2005

Sound about right?

No, not at all.

I'm not advocating a wild west every man for himself, but, I think that
solving end-node oriented problems at the transport layer is equally
absurd.

It's like expecting to be able to throw crude oil into a tanker at
one end and demanding that the trucker deliver gasoline at the other.

ISPs transport packets.  That's what they do.  That's what most consumers
pay them to do.  I haven't actually seen a lot of consumers asking for
protected internet.  I've seen lots of marketing hype pushing it, but,
very little actual consumer demand.  Sure, the hype will probably generate
eventual demand, but, so far, it hasn't really.

Do you really want an internet where everything has to run over ports
80 and 443 because those are all that's left that ISPs don't filter?
That's where a lot of this crap is headed.  Heck, Micr0$0ft is ready
for that... They already tunnel almost all of the viruses through
those two ports in order to facilitate them penetrating corporate
firewalls and such.

How much functionality are we going to destroy before we realize that
you can't fix end-node problems in the transit network?

Owen