Re: New Outage Hits Comcast Subscribers

  • From: Steve Sobol
  • Date: Thu Apr 14 19:13:32 2005

Peter John Hill wrote:

I just don't want my wife to complain to me that she could not check her email because "the Internet was broken"
Serious answer to a non-serious comment:

The group that reads this mailing list can be assumed to be more technically savvy than most people, right?

OK.

So, I run my own DNS server and have a guy providing three secondaries. I use mine and one of his (the one that is geographically distant from mine, as well as on a different segment of Internet), instead of my cable company's, because their DNS servers don't seem to see zone updates as quickly as I'd like them to see them.

I run my own mail server, from which my family's mailboxes are served. This is mainly due to my irrational preference to have 100% control over my email. ;)

No reason why others couldn't do something similar, unless Comcast is blocking 53/udp (mainly) and 53/tcp. (NB: My cable company is not Comcast, but it is one of the other large providers. NB also that while I get my IP address via DHCP, I choose not to use the DNS servers offered to me when I renew my DHCP lease.)

Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / [email protected] / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"