Re: New Outage Hits Comcast Subscribers

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Thu Apr 14 14:46:47 2005

At 02:00 PM 4/14/2005, Peter John Hill wrote:

I have completely given up on relying on Comcast for dns service... For now I will continue to use them for "transit"

If they are unwilling to implement anycast dns then I cannot trust them...
It's unclear why anycast would be required. Most or all of their customers use DHCP to obtain address information, including DNS information. It would be just as reasonable for them to install a few small DNS servers along-side the router at the cable head-end at every town. Now it might be simpler for them to manage if they placed those same servers but used Anycast, but the effect should be the same.

The point is, anycast is not the issue. Reliable service is the issue. DNS isn't their only issue, of course (that they're single-homed to AT&T adds to their unreliability, not that they can fix that at present).

Dan