Re: New Outage Hits Comcast Subscribers

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Thu Apr 14 09:35:08 2005

> > Are you suggesting that network operators should supply
> > their customers with recursive DNS services by operating
> > DNS servers on their network which share the same anycast
> > addresses as the recursive DNS servers on other networks?
> >
> > Or are you suggesting that a network operator should set
> > up anycast internal to their network so that all of their
> > recursive DNS servers share the same IP address?
> >
> > I'd like to hear some more detail on this.
>
> Michael, put down the crackpipe already, will you?  *Of course* the
> previous (unattributed) poster was not talking about hijacking other
> people's address space, but suggested that it's a good idea to not make
> your entire customer base reliant on two puny servers somewhere.

Maybe you should reread the two messages.

The poster suggested that anycast was the way to make
sure that your userbase does not have two rely on
two puny servers somewhere for recursive DNS services.

So, the question remains, does the poster think that
network operators should band together and operate
shared anycast recursive DNS services? Or does the poster
think that network operators should operate many
recursive DNS servers throughout their infrastructure
and tie them together using anycast?

Or was it something else?

If anycast is a good idea for recursive DNS service, then
there is a 3rd party business opportunity here to operate
global recursive DNS services so that network operators can
focus on running the network, not on providing services
like DNS resolution.

--Michael Dillon