Re: verizon.net and other email grief

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Thu Dec 16 14:54:30 2004

On 16-dec-04, at 19:33, just me wrote:

The great thing about teh
internat is that differing solutions to common problems are embraced.

Better solutions reap their rewards, and generally survive.

I wonder how many folks perpetually arguing this point have ever
actually implemented anycasted DNS service?

In any case, I cry uncle. Can we just agree to disagree?
No, we can't.

Reasonable people can and disagree on how much anycasting is exactly right. This is somewhat important, as there is a tradeoff between normal case performance and the likeliness of certain exceptional failure modes.

However, having two IP addresses that are authoritative for a TLD and then heavily anycasting those is just plain wrong because these failure modes aren't very exceptional any more this way. This would be easily fixed by adding more authoritative addresses and making their anycasting different from the other addresses.

Having just two addresses is the main problem, the fact that they're also anycast just makes it even worse under certain circumstances.