Re: A6/DNAME not needed for v6 renumbering [Re: who gets a /32 [Re:IPV6 renumbering painless?]]

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Sun Nov 28 14:20:37 2004

Except that A6/DNAME also supported your upstream being able to initiate
prefix renumbering without having to involve the end customer...

As I understand it:

foo.blah.org. IN A6 MYISP1 ::4321:53ef
MYSIP1 IN DNAME 10 prefix1.isp1.net. ::dead:beef::

Then, in ISP1's isp1.net zone file

prefix1 IN DNAME 100 feed:beef::

This way, if ISP1 needed to renumber for some reason (turning in old /32 in
trade for /30, for example), they could go through the following steps:

prefix1 IN DNAME 200 feed:beef::
prefix1 IN DNAME 100 2314:5124::

Wait a few days for everyone to catch on to the new DNAME, then,

prefix1 IN DNAME 100 2314:5124::

Voila, painless ISP renumber without substantial end-user headache.

Sure, there are other issues (like bone-headed ACLs that accept/deny host
based on 128 bit address), but, this at least solved part of that problem.

Owen