A6/DNAME not needed for v6 renumbering [Re: who gets a /32 [Re: IPV6renumbering painless?]]

  • From: Pekka Savola
  • Date: Sun Nov 28 13:57:25 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Paul Vixie wrote:
the property of a6/dname that wasn't widely understood was its intrinsic
multihoming support.  the idea was that you could go from N upstreams to
N+1 (or N-1) merely by adding/deleting DNAME RRs.  so if you wanted to
switch from ISP1 to ISP2 you'd start by adding a connection to ISP2, then
add a DNAME for ISP2, then delete the DNAME for ISP1, then disconnect ISP1.

the DNAME was expected to be inside your own zone.  presto, no lock-in.
my theory at the time, bitter and twisted i admit, was that we had too
many ISP employees in positions of power inside IETF, and that A6/DNAME
was seen as shifting too much power to the endsystems.  i've since learned
that it was just another case of FID (fear, ignorance, and doubt).
[...]

Isn't about the same achievable with about two or three lines of scripting (or a new zone parsing option for bind ;) with a lot less protocol complexity?

As you note, A6/DNAME wasn't a panacea. A lot additional stuff is needed to achieve the goal. It seems to me that actually the A6/DNAME part is a relatively simple one to achieve using current mechanisms.

--
Pekka Savola "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy kingdom bleeds."