Re: Opinions of recent ITU Comments on the Management of IP Addresses

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Tue Nov 23 08:20:04 2004

On 22-nov-04, at 21:16, Vince Hoffman wrote:

"This memorandum includes a proposal to create a new IPv6 address space distribution process, based solely on national authorities.
This is not exactly what it says in

http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/tsb-director/itut-wsis/files/zhao-netgov01.pdf
A quote:

"The early allocation of IPv4 addresses resulted in geographic imbalances and an excessive possession of the address space by early adopters. This situation was recognized and addressed by the Regional Internet Registries (RIRs). However, despite their best efforts, and even though a very large portion of the IPv4 space has not been assigned, some believe that there is a shortage of IPv4 addresses and voice concerns regarding the principles and managements of the current system. Some developing countries have raised issues regarding IP address allocation. It is important to ensure that similar concerns do not arise with respect to IPv6. I have discussed with some industry experts my idea to reserve a block of IPv6 addresses for allocation by authorities of countries, that is, assigning a block to a country at no cost, and letting the country itself manage this kind of address in IPv6. By assigning addresses to countries, we will enable any particular user to choose their preferred source of addresses: either the countryassigned ones or the region/international-assigned ones."