Re: Opinions of recent ITU Comments on the Management of IP Addresses

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Tue Nov 23 13:07:38 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:16:53 +0100, Iljitsch van Beijnum said:

> not arise with respect to IPv6. I have discussed with some industry
> experts my idea to reserve a block of IPv6 addresses for allocation by
> authorities of  countries, that is, assigning a block to a country at
> no cost, and letting the country itself  manage this kind of address in
> IPv6. By assigning addresses to countries, we will enable  any
> particular user to choose their preferred source of addresses: either
> the countryassigned ones or the region/international-assigned ones."

Down side:  This seems to cater to those places with an incumbent telco
monopoly - if there's competition, we probably long term end up with
pretty massive deaggregation anyhow. (Imagine 3 telcos, each with their
own pipe across the border that land at different places....)

Up side: It's a lot easier to track down all the netblocks said telco
has when you decide you're fed up with their non-stellar [email protected] response.
At least we'd minimize the accidental collateral damage we see now in
IPv4 when a site that's fed up with Chinese/Korean spam blocks the whole
/8 and takes part of Australia or New Zealand with it....

What will probably actually happen - the incumbent telco will get their
prefix, and the abusive users will find ways to get an announcement of
their sub-allocation of a regional prefix anyhow (so we end up with the worst
of both worlds)...