Re: Akamai DNS Issue?

  • From: Sean Butler
  • Date: Wed Jun 16 21:45:55 2004

We have been experiencing this problem weeks ago, this is virtually under
the same spectrum of problems that Akamai via AKADNS.NET with their
corporate DNS servers that carry traffic for google, yahoo, msn, etc. When
we were asking if Akamai blacklisted/blackholed ip addresses ( we meant at
router-level or DNS-level ) as we were experiencing lack of resolution to
yahoo, and google. We noted that google adwords were using a different dns
than akamai and could be seen. The problem continued intermittently
throughout the week, yet nobody put the questions we were asking along with
the issues taking place from Akamai within dispite our pleas, and requests
to resolve this issue. We performed traceroutes, pings, bgp summarys making
sure we weren't being blocked before we started pointing any fingers and
asking any stupid questions yet we still were ignored and could of helped
Akamai prevent such occurances from happening. It is us who is paying google
$186,000 a quarter and Yahoo $146,000 a quarter in advertising, you'd think
that someone would look our way and see we're having troubles rather than
walking on while we were being mugged. Rather than being treated as mere
babble we could of provided our logs as we were working within over 30
looking glasses trying to see what was happening and where the problem were
occuring.
Pete,

In addition to John responding to your Nanog request for help from Akamai, I also responded (privately) and did not hear anything from you. Did you ever open a ticket with the Akamai NOC or Customer Care, and if so, can you give me that ticket number? I doubt seriously that no one at Akamai listened. We've got two right here that responded and did not get a response, on a non standard channel. Standard channels are probably a much better place to go, and so I'd guess you had much better luck there. So, if you can send me the ticket number, we'll take this off Nanog and get it resolved.

Thanks,
Sean
(Akamai NetArch Guy)