Re: News coverage, Verisign etc.

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Wed Oct 08 18:15:51 2003

-- On Wednesday, October 8, 2003 14:08 -0700
-- Dave Crocker <[email protected]> supposedly wrote:

In any event, the problem is not that the semantics of the word are wrong
in this case, but that using the word just serves to inflame. I was
particularly heartened that yesterday's meeting was conducted in a
thoroughly professional tone, with folks offering clear and practical
expressions of their views.
Since I was not at the meeting, just read the press accounts, I am interested in this. I got the distinct impression that, although "professional", Verisign was making an effort to keep things on a purely technical track. And then afterwards claimed that "nothing broke" since Joe User could get to www.[webpage].com.

This is not the attitude of someone trying to work through the process to a mutual resolution. It is the attitude of someone who is trying to work the process so they can claim some type of validity to their (pre-determined) decision.

As someone who was there, would you care to comment on my impression? Happy to be wrong, I certainly would love it if Verisign is actually doing "the right thing".

--
TTFN,
patrick