Re: News coverage, Verisign etc.

  • From: Dave Crocker
  • Date: Wed Oct 08 17:11:01 2003

Steve,

Per American Heritage Dictionary:

mal·fea·sance    "Misconduct or wrongdoing, especially by a public official."

That's not the same as "dishonesty".

In any event, the problem is not that the semantics of the word are wrong in
this case, but that using the word just serves to inflame. I was particularly
heartened that yesterday's meeting was conducted in a thoroughly professional
tone, with folks offering clear and practical expressions of their views.

Consequently:

SMB> I see three issues: is this technically wise, did Verisign have the right
SMB> to do this under their current contract with ICANN, and should they have
SMB> such a right.

Is exactly the right way to approach this topic.  (I think Howard's foray into
categorizing issues is also extremely constructive.)

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>