Re: Will reverting DNS wildcard have any adverse affects?

  • From: bmanning
  • Date: Sat Oct 04 15:41:24 2003

> On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 08:29:45AM -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> > > zone "com" { type delegation-only; };
> > > zone "net" { type delegation-only; };
> > well, thats up to the zone admin. :)
>
> Everything is. :)

	glad you agree.

> > my concern is mostly along the lines of folks who will do things like:
> > zone "waw.pl" { type delegation-only; };
> > to random zones that they think -SHOULD- be delegation-only, regardless
> > of what the zone admin specifies.
>
> So you are questioning the "type delegation-only" functionality? Then
> it's a wrong address, stupidity will always be the biggest problem in
> the universe.

	in a word, YES. and there have been/are lots of folks
	who fall into the trap of either "stupidity" or ignorance (more likely)
	who will do things simply because is was in some script or manual w/o
	questioning -why-.
	These types of folks can be reasoned with, its just that there are so
	many of them... :)  More worrysome are those who are disgruntled or are
	malicious and will code things up to be disruptive by choice.

	while BIND is open-source and any knuckledragging code jock can "haq the source"
	to do this, ISC is acting as arm manufacture and dealer, handing out easy to use
	code that allows local admins to lie to themselves and those that use their servers
	about what the zone admin indicates is correct for the zone.  (and yes, I have
	a bias here... :)

> However, Verisign hijacking "com" and "net" made few things clear. Most
> important: these domains are public, not theirs, hence they should not

	that is not clear to me.  I'd like to argue that -ALL- delegations are made
	in the public interest and are not "owned" by anyone.  You and others are
	trying to claim that some delegations are "public" and some are not.  I'd really
	like to see the legal basis for making such a distinction.

> do arbitrary changes to them. Marking "com" and "net" as delegation-only
> is not harming anything. (At least until ICANN changes its mind.)

	 perhaps not.  I remain unconvinced.