RE: future transit prices

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Fri Oct 18 17:14:08 2002

There are a couple of other points to consider when talking about 60%
utilization of the backbone.

I can sell 20 T3's into my OC48 pop and still not ever see 900mb/s average
usage. The statmux effect varies depending on the nature of your traffic.
Spikes/peaks disappear in the core, and the larger your core, the better
able your average will multiply for you.

Second, 60% utilization -- is that assuming symmetric usage or not? Often
the same T3 of capacity can be sold to complimentary customers/usage
(access/web), etc.

And while staff/facilities/legal/etc may stay relatively high irrespective
of usage, I would be very surprised to see them scale at anywhere near the
same velocity as backbone capacity. A n OC48 backbone and an OC192 backbone
don't require different amounts of operations staff, maybe a variable (<<4x)
amount of front-line customer-service-staff, and like wise the equipment
isn't 4x more expensive than the OC48, etc. So I would say overhead per bit
per second is a high constant with a small variable (capacity dependent)
piece and when dividing into that capacity the numbers drop drastically. In
an access-network point-of-view. Obviously running datacenters changes the
model slightly.

Deepak Jain
AiNET