Re: Eat this RIAA (or, the war has begun?) - Why not all ISPs?

  • From: Pawlukiewicz Jane
  • Date: Thu Aug 22 15:57:22 2002

Hi Paul

Paul Wouters wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, David Schwartz wrote:
>
> >       As far as I know, yes, any company can refuse to do business with any
> > individual or company with very few exceptions.
>
> No. Only if ISP's would call under the common carrier principle. And it
> seems the world is trying its very best not to grant them that.
> You can't have the cake and eat it too. If common carrier principle is not
> valid, you can refuse someone's traffic, as long as you're not violating
> another law (eg anti-discriminatory laws).

I am confused by what you just said. The common carrier principle does
not apply here. AT least, the last time I checked no internet companies
were considered under that principle. The reason, I believe, is that the
internet is still not considered a necessity. Unless i misunderstand
what you're referencing. Antitrust laws definitely do, however. IANAL
either, but collusion is collusion.