Re: Eat this RIAA (or, the war has begun?) - Why not all ISPs?

  • From: Paul Wouters
  • Date: Thu Aug 22 15:22:00 2002

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, David Schwartz wrote:

> 	As far as I know, yes, any company can refuse to do business with any
> individual or company with very few exceptions.

No. Only if ISP's would call under the common carrier principle. And it
seems the world is trying its very best not to grant them that.
You can't have the cake and eat it too. If common carrier principle is not
valid, you can refuse someone's traffic, as long as you're not violating
another law (eg anti-discriminatory laws).

So you can probably tell RIA "we no longer carry your traffic for no reason",
but you can't deny someone because they're a black pregnant lesbian Mormon.

Paul