Re: Eat this RIAA (or, the war has begun?) - Why not all ISPs?

  • From: Paul Wouters
  • Date: Thu Aug 22 16:08:23 2002

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Pawlukiewicz Jane wrote:

> I am confused by what you just said. The common carrier principle does
> not apply here. AT least, the last time I checked no internet companies
> were considered under that principle. The reason, I believe, is that the
> internet is still not considered a necessity.

I'm not sure if that's the reason.

> Antitrust laws definitely do, however. IANAL
> either, but collusion is collusion.

It could be clearly shown that Antitrust doens't apply here. After all,
there is no 'illegal' profit to be made from censoring the RIA/MPAA.

Apart from the fact that I think it's morally wrnog to censor as an
ISP, no matter what reason, I think it would also set a bad example. We
don't want to be (technically) seen to able to filter. As soon as that
happens, even if it starts with a joke against RIA, would mean a
truckload of requests/threats/lawsuits to censor/filter.

Paul "I'm just an ISP" Wouters