Re: ratios

  • From: Chris Adams
  • Date: Tue May 07 21:51:46 2002

Once upon a time, Richard A Steenbergen <[email protected]> said:
>   D. The applicant shall take steps to ensure that its routes are not
>   announced to Cable & Wireless from another network.
>
> What exactly is this supposed to accomplish?

Doesn't that mean that, if you had a failure peering with C&W, you'd be
cut off (even if you were buying transit from someone else like UUNet
for example)?  Seems like that would give C&W extra leverage in a
peering dispute, since, by the peering agreement, your C&W peering
connections would be your _only_ connections to the C&W network.  You
can't buy transit that _might_ get you to C&W's network if you want to
peer with them.

> Oh BTW on the subject of peering, has anyone noticed that AOL has cut off
> a large number of transit providers and reportedly a number of content
> hoster peers (though I havn't seen this first-hand) in recent days. I

We recently received an email from AOL with the Subject "AOL email
concerns for hiwaay.net".  It had some vague statistics:

Total percentage of messages bounced:  0
Total percentage of bounces accepted:  45%
Total number of AOL member complaints:  0

It then went on to say that if we didn't respond in 24 hours, we may be
blocked from AOL.  I responded asking for more information, but never
heard back (and they didn't block us).  I didn't see many AOL bounces in
our logs, and I'm not sure what "percentage of bounces accepted" means
(especially when the percentage of messages bounced is zero).  Anybody
know what they mean by this?
--
Chris Adams <[email protected]>