Re: ratios

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Tue May 07 19:23:45 2002

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 05:50:00PM -0400, PETER JANSEN wrote:

>     Ratios are normally applied to either direction, since it is not
> totally understood who benefits from what traffic direction. Who
> benefits: the eyball or the content provider??? But keep in mind traffic
> ratios are only one parameter to establish a mutially equal beneit.

This makes for some great logic. If you really believe that traffic in
either direction can be equally beneficial, then why require ratios at
all? If on the other hand, you believe that content is less valuable than
eyeballs, wouldn't eyeball providers be the most valuable of peers? Except
in the case of mismanagement (such as a congested peer), a peer benefits
everyone. Why does it matter that a peer benefit both sides in exactly the
same ways?

Yes there are legitimate arguments in the favor of not accepting smaller
peers. If they're all eyeballs and only in one location you have to haul
traffic there that you otherwise would have dropped locally on one of the
bigger peers that they buy transit from. But if they can meet the
locations, I don't see a legitimate argument for ratios. Perhaps what you
need to do is consider distance to the egress point above AS Path length.
:)

Then we comes to those little things that are just there to try and keep
people from qualifying to peer. You can't be serious about requiring 5000
routes can you? Way to encourage aggregation, really.

When it comes down to it, someone on your network has PAID YOU to BRING
them traffic as well as to deliver it. If you can't do that then I'm sure
they can find someone who can. As for the "if they can't peer, they'll buy
transit" argument, I find that equally negated by the "if they won't peer,
why should I buy their transit" argument.