Qwest Transit

  • From: Andy Dills
  • Date: Tue Apr 02 16:48:08 2002

Ok, we have an opportunity to get Qwest bandwidth amazingly cheap.  I
can't disclose the details (NDA), but bottom line is it looks like the
cheapest in the industry and because there is no loop involved, it could
be one hell of a deal on a ds3.

I'm not a fan of Qwest, traditionally. I've had some (somewhat famous)
run-ins with their sales people, and I personally know plenty of companies
who over several years have had tons of complaints with various aspects of
their organization.

However, I'm not interested in all of that at the moment. I need to
evaulate, without all of my longheld bias, whether or not Qwest can
provide quality DS3 transit. The traditional knock on Qwest is that
they're an over-built under-peered network with poor support. But a lot of
time has passed, so surely they would have addressed the peering issues by
now? I can deal with poor support...the circuit is a simple cross connect,
and our bgp filter changes are fairly uncommon.

Can anybody speak positively or negatively about the quality of Qwest
transit? We ordered a metered ds3 for a backup circuit, but with
the pricing I'm seeing, I'm really tempted to localpref and prepend our
announcements such that most of the traffic flows through Qwest. I plan on
trying it out regardless, but I'd like to hear from the list first.

Thanks,
Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access