Re: The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

  • From: Vincent J. Bono
  • Date: Fri Sep 28 16:23:42 2001

> >Any Taiwan-made PC can swallow much more. The limit is not clear but is
> >certainly far away from us.
>
>> I want to you to put a couple of channelized DS-3s, an ATM OC12c,
>> and a POS OC48c to your backbone plus all the BGP peers you can sign
>> up at AADS on a PC.

Yes but you can't put all that on the "loaded" 7200s you mentioned either.
I think the point he was trying to make was not that we should use PCs as
routers,
but that routers we *do* use are at least as powerful as Taiwan PCs (for
this application).

When Sprint was filtering there was a demonstrable need based on the 64meg
limit that
mainstream routers had for memory at the time.  I do not see that there is
any such physical
limitation today and I guarentee that the router vendors (all two of them)
have learned the lesson
of not including enough address lines on the equipment to allow for easy
memory upgrades.

-vb