Re: multi-homing fixed

  • From: Leo Bicknell
  • Date: Tue Aug 28 11:16:44 2001

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 10:45:59AM -0400, David Hares wrote:
> Better to buy from someone with a clue, with a real (redundant path)
> backbone, and provision as many lines as you want into disparate POPs.  Even

I've asked this of a number of people now, but how many providers
have multiple POP's in a city that are _completely redundant_?
That is, they can operate _fully_ with one POP out of service?

In New York, Washington DC, Chicago, the bay area and maybe one or
two other spots you most likely have a half dozen choices.  In many
other NFL cities, say Green Bay, Tampa, Cincinatti, Indianapolis
and the like if you have more than one choice I'd be surprised,
and in several if you even have one choice I'd be surprised.  Even
if they have two pops, many of those cities won't have redundant
long haul capacity.  One POP will either be behind the other, or
they are oversubscribed on the long haul.

--
Leo Bicknell - [email protected]
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440