RE: multi-homing fixed

  • From: David Hares
  • Date: Tue Aug 28 10:51:51 2001

Oh, come on.  I've never known Randy to discriminate on "old crowd" or
"power elite".  A bad business plan or delusions of grandeur is another
thing.

The real problem with most basement multi-homers is they go with the
cheapest local service they can get, often from someone clueless with one
POP / one path.  To fix this, they add another cheap, local, clueless
service and pray they don't get clueless at the same time.  Then they
inflict bad judgement on the rest of the Internet by demanding their routes
be distributed.  Bad plan.

Better to buy from someone with a clue, with a real (redundant path)
backbone, and provision as many lines as you want into disparate POPs.  Even
better, get out of the basment where you're dealing with an ILEC for your
last mile.  Most small business parks have redundant paths these days.  Get
your address space from the provider and worry about your business, not your
connectivity.  Good (at least better) plan.  It's been a long time since a
major provider took out their whole net, or even a geographic region.

Dave, speaking for myself