Re: How to game the system (was Re: What does 95th %tile mean?)

  • From: Travis Pugh
  • Date: Fri Apr 20 13:02:10 2001

The one that surprises me is that carriers haven't introduced the concept
of "off-peak" billing.  Under my 95% billing from upstreams at shore.net,
we could have packed the off-peak hours with data and not impacted our
costs at all.  It doesn't seem too difficult to shop for enterprise
customers who need to move batch data from one place to another, sell them
a circuit, and give them a sharply reduced rate as long as their peaks
happen between 12:00 am EST and 6:00 am EST.  All I'm doing at that point
is filling the "valleys" on my transit graphs with free data, since I'm
paying for (almost) peak utilization anyway.

-travis