Re: How to game the system (was Re: What does 95th %tile mean?)

  • From: Greg A. Woods
  • Date: Fri Apr 20 14:56:49 2001

[ On Friday, April 20, 2001 at 12:56:54 (-0400), Travis Pugh wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: How to game the system (was Re: What does 95th %tile mean?)
>
> The one that surprises me is that carriers haven't introduced the concept
> of "off-peak" billing.

I don't know about the carriers, but some of the littler 2nd and 3rd
tier guys are billing at 95th percentile because that's how they are
billed upstream.

I too would think that if you're actually paying a fixed rate for a
fixed-rate pipe then you'd be far more interested in filling the
valleys, so to speak.  I know some broadband providers who are in that
boat, but they don't want to also do what it would take to attract the
traffic that would fill their valleys.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <[email protected]>     <[email protected]>
Planix, Inc. <[email protected]>;   Secrets of the Weird <[email protected]>