Re: Using unallocated address space

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Tue Feb 13 12:06:02 2001

On Tue, 13 February 2001, Roy wrote:
> It would seem to me that ARIN and its counterparts should get together and
> provide a "blackhole" BGP feed (the NBL?)  where all packets destined for
> unallocated, restricted, or private space go bye-bye.

This isn't very effective because a longer, more specific prefix wins.  It
would immediately inflate the route table to its maximum size if the registries
announced every possible delegation.  It is similar to the problem with people
hijacking addresses.  Unless you tie it to filters which ignore prefix
announcements longer than the "authorized" allocation size.  Which brings us
back to the start of this thread.

If AS1239 and others contributed and used something like the IRR to filter
announcements, the problem is simplier.