Re: environmental monitors

  • From: Jim Mercer
  • Date: Fri Dec 22 17:02:40 2000

On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 04:17:07PM -0500, Jimmy Kyriannis wrote:
> While we're on the topic of small devices...  What are folks'
> experience with SNMP-manageable environmental sensors for
> temperature, humidity, electrical variations, etc., for remote
> monitoring of data closets, comm rooms, enclosed racks, etc.?
>
> I've tracked down two objects so far:
>
> AKCP, Inc. - http://www.kcpinc.com/sensors.html
> Sensorsoft - http://www.sensorsoft.com
>
> Any experiences with either?  Any recommendations outside of these
> two products?

i've been looking at the iButton stuff.

you can get an evaluation kit from them (1 temp sensor and RS232 hookup)
for $25.

http://www.ibutton.com/ibuttons/thermochron.html#kit

the advantage of using the iButton (actually 1-wire network) stuff, is that
you can actually run multiple sensors off the same wire.

they have temp and humidity sensors.

more info on 1-wire from:
http://www.dalsemi.com/
http://www.pointsix.com/

using a *nix box and ucd-snmp, it wouldn't take much to make the data snmp
addressable.

i'm planning on putting some of these in my cottage to look for leaks and to
gauge the enjoyment factor of the upcoming weekend.

although, i'm still trying to figure out a way to detect the frequency and
strength of the bugzapper hits, so i can MRTG the blackflys.

8^)

--
[ Jim Mercer          [email protected] ]
[          Reptilian Research -- Longer Life through Colder Blood          ]