Re: small device with IP address

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Fri Dec 22 16:56:21 2000

I don't know why I didn't think of this before.

The RPC-3 devices from Bay Tecnnical Associates are small (1U) and on top
of having an IP stack, they also serve as an 8-port power strip with each
outlet individually controllable.  They can also give temp and current
measurements.  (No snmp, you have to log into them.)

  RPC-3 Unit Status Menu.
  Enter selection, CR to exit.

    1)...System
    2)...Network Interface
    3)...Logged Users
    4)...Outlet Status
  Enter Selection>4
  True RMS current:  4.4 Amps
  Maximum Detected:  5.2 Amps

  Internal Temperature: 33.0 C

  Circuit Breaker: On

  Selection   Outlet    Outlet   Power
    Number     Name     Number   Status
      1       Happy       1       On
      2       Dopey       2       On
      3       Grumpy      3       On
      4       Sneezy      4       On
      5       Speedy      5       On
      6       Mufasa      6       On
      7       Foghorn     7       On
      8       Tweety      8       On

  <Strike CR to continue.>

Beyond this, they also have a console port so, if the net is down, you can
still OOB into the device and perhaps power-cycle-fix the network problem.

They DON'T fit your price range but, given the added functionality, they
are well worth the cost just in the time they can potentially save you.

A friend of mine is an authorized dealer for these devices so, if anyone
is interested, let me know and I'll get him in touch with you.

(He monitors NANOG, but lurks vs posting.)

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc