RE: small device with IP address

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Thu Dec 21 17:13:29 2000

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Christopher Gibiault wrote:

> Mikael ,
>
> 	Is there a reason you don't want to ping the Ethernet port of the router? I
> think this would be more stable then any "HOST" on the network.

It would if we did it the classical way by putting a router in the
customers facilities but we do not.

One way we do it is by L2 hop (VLAN) the customer to a more centrally
placed switchrouter and aggregate there. The customer is connected via
fiber, using ethernet 10/100/1000 depending on the customer. The customer
may only have a FX/TX-converter at their facility, or they may have a
switch (of which will probably not have an IP address in the vlan the
customer resides in).

Also, I would like to address some IGP issues where routes are not
propagated properly, our equipment is still reachable but the routes to
the customer is not.

Basically what I want to do is test it all the way.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]