Re: small device with IP address

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Fri Dec 22 09:23:58 2000

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 11:43:15PM -0500, [email protected] wrote:

> Not very small, and has a hard drive...thus not very reliable, and prone
> to all sorts of nasty issues when it loses power unexpectedly.

I understand why it doesn't fit the immediate requirements, but I am
feeling a sudden urge to speak up in defence of SPARC lunchboxes :)

I have a SPARC classic in a very remote and cramped colo which is
dropped and powered off semi-regularly. The temperature in the colo
exceeds 40C during the southern summer. The machine exchanges about
5000 mail messages per day which, although not a huge load, is enough
to keep the disk heads moving.

And I've never lost a single bit of data :)

Joe