Re: exponential route prefix growth, was: Re: The Cidr Report

  • From: Timothy Brown
  • Date: Fri Sep 22 16:34:58 2000

> What 'threshold' has triggered this sudden event, with routes going

IMHO, one of the triggers is larger enterprises deciding to multi-home to
several disparate carriers.  I've seen a number of companies recently who,
rather than collocating at locations where they might enjoy better bandwidth
and reliability at a lower cost, have gone the route of purchasing several
tens of links and peering to each provider they connect to.  Since they're
usually multinational, they do this in several places, which I think
contributes to what you're noticing.

Which sucks, because the better choice for them is to ignore the political
concerns and do the technically responsible thing, which is bring their
content or resources, whatever they are, closer to points in the Internet
where they are most commonly used.  There's really very little to be gained
by announcing their own space as opposed to having a collocation provider
with good connectivity providing them blocks out of their space.

They just come from a larger enterprise mentality where they work very hard
to make sure all the resources are centralized and controlled by one or two
people.

sigh.