exponential route prefix growth, was: Re: The Cidr Report

  • From: Kai Schlichting
  • Date: Fri Sep 22 15:42:16 2000

At Friday 03:00 PM 9/22/00, Tony Bates wrote:

>Check http://www.employees.org/~tbates/cidr.plot.html for a plot
>of the table history.

Is this just me, or has noone commented on this in a while?
Somehow we are seeing an exponential growth in the number of prefixes
in the last 12 months, while it was linear for the 5 years
before that ( http://www.employees.org/~tbates/cidr.hist.plot.html )

What 'threshold' has triggered this sudden event, with routes going
from 60,000 to 90,000 in just 12 months? Multihoming becoming
fashionable? Dinky-rink providers getting multihomed, and for lack
of engineering experience announcing 32 /24's out of their scattered
POPs in addition to their /19 aggregate because they can't get their
load balancing right without it or have never heard of the 'NO_EXPORT'
attribute (I could point fingers now)?