Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

  • From: Mr. James W. Laferriere
  • Date: Thu Aug 31 23:56:38 2000

	Hello Marshall ,  Um quite contrare DOS was based on CPM
	which in turn was based on RT-11 .  There was even a BIG
	law suit against M$ about that one which CPM lost (IIRC) .
		Hth,  JimL

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Thomas Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> Steve Sobol wrote:
> > > untrue.
> > > just think how crippled make(1) would be without extensions.
> > DOS and Windows do NOT consider the extension to be part of
> > the filename. In DOS, make.exe is made up of the filename "make",
> > and the extension "exe". In Unix and MacOS, "make.exe" represents
> > a filename "make.exe". The concept of the file extension doesn't exist
> > as it does in DOS.
> > Now that I think about it, though, VMS has file extensions, doesn't
> > it? (Been a while since I last used VMS.) I don't know if the extensions
> > are treated the way DOS and Windows treats extensions, though.
> In VMS (whihc is what DOS is based on AFAIK)
> the file name is name.ext;N (where N is the version number, which is incremented
> each time you save the file). Made for very easy simple minded configuration control,
> so that foo.exe;23 is the 23rd executable of the program foo.c

       | James   W.   Laferriere | System  Techniques | Give me VMS     |
       | Network        Engineer | 25416      22nd So |  Give me Linux  |
       | [email protected] | DesMoines WA 98198 |   only  on  AXP |