Re: IPv6 allocatin (was Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting)

  • From: Jason Slagle
  • Date: Thu Aug 31 23:47:24 2000

Sorry for the first post david.  Hit the wrong key.

---
Jason Slagle - CCNA - CCDA
Network Administrator - Toledo Internet Access - Toledo Ohio
- [email protected] - [email protected] - WHOIS JS10172

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, David R. Conrad wrote:

> > With 15 POPs spread throughout the US and Europe, and
> > more on the way, with exceedingly non-contiguous space obtained from 6
> > different upstreams, it would benefit ourselves as well as our many
> > providers to have our own PI space.
>
> I suspect the number of organizations who can claim "it would benefit
> ourselves as well as our many providers" will greatly exceed the number
> of available routing slots before IPv6 comes anywhere close to being
> significantly deployed.
>

>From everything I've read, an originization cannot announce another
originizations address blocks to anyone else under ipv6.  It's
forbidden.  This would make getting a top level block a REQUIREMENT to
multihome unless you took multiple blocks from multiple providers, but
that gets messy.

Jason