Re: Now the idiots at ORBS are probing random dial-ups

  • From: Barry Shein
  • Date: Tue Aug 22 01:05:32 2000

On August 21, 2000 at 19:23 [email protected] (John Payne) wrote:
 > On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 09:55:18PM -0400, Barry Shein wrote:
 > > Is there any reasonable way to tell these ORBS and MAPS losers
 > > "possibly good intentions, but so badly run that: no thanks" from the
 > > net administrator community.
 >
 > Don't lump ORBS and MAPS in the same boat...  MAPS is run by well balanced,
 > sane individuals and doesn't commit net-abuse.   ORBS on the other hand...

No measurables, no reason to believe any of it is worth the trouble it
causes (i.e., blocks any significant amount of spam), no due process,
no review of principles possible, you can't even take your business
elsewhere to get them out of your life, no one even gets to vote with
their wallet.

This is just vigilantism with all the potential for abuse with the
usual pattern it takes on in non-cyber contexts wherein they mostly
hassle honest citizens because the crooks are far too slick for such
amateurish approaches so if you leave your car doors unlocked they
slash the tires to teach you a lesson.

P.S. We were accidentally blocked by MAPS once, PITA. I'm not
impressed and it's not possible for an ISP to use MAPS.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email protected]          | http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*