Re: Now the idiots at ORBS are probing random dial-ups

  • From: Steve Sobol
  • Date: Tue Aug 22 01:12:33 2000

Barry Shein wrote:

> Obviously random dial-ups have different hosts logged on each time
> they try, often no one is logged on.

Barry,

MAPS' open-relay blackhole list must have had an actual spam from the
IP in question for it to be placed in the testing queue.

Just wanted to clarify that. ORBS and MAPS are vastly different in the
way they operate.

> Oh, and a word from ORBS' fearless leader:
>
>   From [email protected]  Sun Feb  7 23:11:52 1999
>   >As for you, fuck off. Your attitude has got you a permanent entry in ght
>   >shub list.
>
> No doubt something to do with all the attention I get from these jerks.

A lot of people in the anti-spam community (myself included) disagree
with the way Alan Brown runs ORBS. Alan has carte blanche to test the
servers I maintain; he found a server I'd accidentally left open BEFORE
the spammers found it, and I appreciate that. But I wouldn't use ORBS to
filter mail.

I am NOT, by any stretch of the imagination, saying you shouldn't be
upset; I just wanted to clarify a couple points you made.

--
North Shore Technologies, Cleveland, OH
http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net