Re: Now the idiots at ORBS are probing random dial-ups

  • From: John Payne
  • Date: Tue Aug 22 02:14:38 2000

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 01:02:57AM -0400, Barry Shein wrote:

> On August 21, 2000 at 19:23 [email protected] (John Payne) wrote:
>  > On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 09:55:18PM -0400, Barry Shein wrote:
>  > > Is there any reasonable way to tell these ORBS and MAPS losers
>  > > "possibly good intentions, but so badly run that: no thanks" from the
>  > > net administrator community.
>  >
>  > Don't lump ORBS and MAPS in the same boat...  MAPS is run by well balanced,
>  > sane individuals and doesn't commit net-abuse.   ORBS on the other hand...
>
> No measurables, no reason to believe any of it is worth the trouble it
> causes (i.e., blocks any significant amount of spam), no due process,
> no review of principles possible, you can't even take your business
> elsewhere to get them out of your life, no one even gets to vote with
> their wallet.

What trouble does MAPS cause?  RSS and DUL are blocking quite a bit of spam
for *me*.  Dunno how much the RBL is blocking... 'cos I'm behind a BGP feed.

No measurables tho... sure - you get what you pay for.  But, what trouble
does it cause?

> This is just vigilantism with all the potential for abuse with the
> usual pattern it takes on in non-cyber contexts wherein they mostly
> hassle honest citizens because the crooks are far too slick for such
> amateurish approaches so if you leave your car doors unlocked they
> slash the tires to teach you a lesson.
>
> P.S. We were accidentally blocked by MAPS once, PITA. I'm not
> impressed and it's not possible for an ISP to use MAPS.

And?  Was it a justified listing?  Or a spite listing?  Details!

--
John Payne      http://www.sackheads.org/jpayne/    [email protected]
http://www.sackheads.org/uce/                    Fax: +44 870 0547954