Re: Path-MTU-discovery

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Mon Jul 17 02:29:07 2000

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Experience is beginning to suggest that it's the vast majority of them
> that use PMTUd now.  Where it doesn't work _at_all_ on the "client" side
> you quickly find out that perhaps as many as 2/3's (anecdotally
> measured) of the "popular" web servers out there seem to be unusable

I am behind a tunnel with something like 1446 MTU. It works just nicely, I
have not found any sites so far that won't work.

On the other hand, at work we're doing some tunneling using ciscos. Due to
routing etc the ICMP "need-to-frag"-messages get lost and the people
behind those tunnels cannot use 90% of the www sites (so they have to
resort to proxies). Seems to me that PMTUd works better than most people
think.

I do believe that NT and Win2k comes default with a registry setting that
makes it send all TCP traffic with the DF flag set (which I can see no
reason for unless M$ IP stack cannot do refragmentation properly). This
setting is changable as far as I know but I cannot seem to find the
information at this time. Anyone?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]