Re: Path-MTU-discovery

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Mon Jul 17 02:40:09 2000

At 08:26 AM 7/17/00 +0200, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

>On the other hand, at work we're doing some tunneling using ciscos. Due to
>routing etc the ICMP "need-to-frag"-messages get lost and the people
>behind those tunnels cannot use 90% of the www sites (so they have to
>resort to proxies). Seems to me that PMTUd works better than most people
>think.

Wow, why would the ICMPs get lost?

Also, cisco has a feature on tunnels now where the routers will frag & de-frag making the tunnel MTU effectively 1500 bytes (or whatever you set).

>I do believe that NT and Win2k comes default with a registry setting that
>makes it send all TCP traffic with the DF flag set (which I can see no
>reason for unless M$ IP stack cannot do refragmentation properly). This
>setting is changable as far as I know but I cannot seem to find the
>information at this time. Anyone?

I have no clue if that is really a setting. (Do not run any MS web servers.)

However, end stations do not do fragmentation. They do re-assembly, but the receiving station has no control over whether something gets fragmented in transit to it.

If the MTU of a path is less than, say, 1500, the end station just sends out smaller packets, not fragments.

Since it is likely that you have visited an MS-power site, and you say you can reach all sites, then the MS IP-stack can probably send out packets < 1500 bytes long.

If the setting you describe does exist (and it may very well considering MS' history), it is probably just another screw up from the world's black-hole for bad programmers.

>Mikael Abrahamsson email: [email protected]

TTFN,
patrick