Re: Blech!

  • From: Alex Bligh
  • Date: Sat Feb 12 12:58:39 2000

Paul,

> Is it within the realm of possibility that ISP's will
> start to craft SLA's, peering & transit agreements, to
> include who is responsible for ingress filtering?

It is in the realm of fact. Our (*) agreements with our customers
specifically prevent them from sending packets with source
IP addresses outside agreed ranges, and have done for
close on 2 years. Our peering agreements (and this is in
the LINX template agreement too, which shares the same
author) have provisions which make the peer responsible
for ensuring they aren't sending spoofed source addresses.

I know several other people do this too. We have not yet
tested enforceability, though we have used the existence
of the clause to justify unilateral application of filters
in one or two occurrences.

(*) 'Our' in this context means GX Networks a.k.a.
     Concentric Europe. I am unfamiliar with the US
     situation.

--
Alex Bligh
VP Core Network, Concentric Network Corporation