Re: Data Center design.

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Thu Feb 10 04:09:57 2000

On Wed, 09 February 2000, foo wrote:
> I'm wondering if there are any mailing lists or other resources concerning
> building, designing, and maintaining Data Centers.

Try [email protected] ([email protected])

> I've found some vaguely helpful resources from netsearches, but so far
> I've been pretty disappointed with the amount and level of the available
> information. Are there any books? Any respected "authorities"? Is everyone
> learning as they go, or are all of the new Internet DC's being built by
> old-school mainframe/datawarehouse types?

When doing research on the web, only bits and pieces of information from
before 1992 are on the web.  So you need to look other places in addition
to the web.

A great source I've found is going to a local public or university library
and asking for the government documents section (GOVDOC).  Their documents
cover many aspects of designing, building and maintaining data centers and
lots of other things.  However you may have to think creatively to find the
information.  For example, if you want to know what type of exterior lights
to use, think of Illumination Considerations For Nuclear Storage Areas.  You
will want to scan at least the FIPS index for computer topics.  Be prepared
to use a microfilm and microfiche reader.

Remember there are assumptions in the documents.  In particular older data
center design existed in a world of batch processes.  Computers were extremely
expensive, and brief service interruptions were acceptable. In today's world
computers are cheap, and interruption of service is very expensive.  This
affects core elements of the design.

Other sources include vendors such as IBM, Liebert, Telcordia and groups
like ANSI, ASHRAE, BICSI, IEEE, NFPA, UL, etc, etc, etc.  Again be careful
about understanding the assumptions.  Handing a set of old standards to an
architect and saying build me a data center is the worst thing you can do.
You will get exactly what you asked for, but not what you wanted.