Re: Yahoo! Lessons Learned

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Wed Feb 09 21:41:36 2000

Joe Shaw wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Dan Hollis wrote:

> > > funny... there is a "Forward Directed Broadcast" option in the config.
> > > Turning this off does seem to work. Of course that doesn't mean folks
> > > HAVE turned it off...
> >
> > Yup, makes you wonder why they havent done it
>
> Ignorance is usually the problem here.

To be fair, Router Requirements (RFC 1812) required directed broadcast
be on by default. RFC 2644/BCP 34 was only published in August 1999,
changing the requirement to be OFF by default.

Some router vendors, notably Cisco and Proteon (a.k.a. OpenROUTE, now
NxNetworks) made the change prior to that new BCP, recognizing that
melting down the Internet was the logical result of leaving directed
broadcast turned on.

> > Doubly confusing if ascend hasnt made it default
>
> The last time I installed a TNT it wasn't even an option.  The last time I
> worked with any piece of Ascend gear (pipeline 85), the Forward Directed
> Broadcast option was set to yes by default.  This may have changed since
> then.

The gear I recently installed was a MAX 6000, running software rev.
7.0.3. I suggest folks give consideration to upgrading to versions which
support these features.

Daniel Senie                                        [email protected]
Amaranth Networks Inc.            http://www.amaranthnetworks.com