Info on the DoS attacks.

  • From: Rodney Caston
  • Date: Wed Feb 09 21:46:03 2000

I spoke with a person that claimed to understand the attacks that are
going on, while I have no proof, I offer this as an example of what to
look for on your own systems. So I am presenting this only as a possible
example of what has taken place, and until proven correct I concede this
is only a "rumor."

Basically it began by combining many scripts already in use for scanning
system security holes, the script initially scans a range of IPs scanning
each target system for various known exploits, once a system is
compromised, the second half of the attack goes into effect. I believe it
uses some form of remote execution via rcp once its been compromised to
copy and execute what seems to be a specially made "DoS Daemon" to the
host, once there it this daemon runs waiting to receive its orders from
the people who put it there. Therefore, once enough systems were
compromised in this fashion and enough systems on the net were unknowingly
running this daemon, the attackers simply gave the order to hit the
targets this week and their daemon's went to work. With this in mind we
would need someone to find a box with this daemon on it so we can find a
way to detect its existence on other systems. Logically, since the
compromise of the systems was done with a script, this "DoS Daemon" would
be setup the same way on every compromised system. Therefore, if someone
can find it on one box, we will know exactly what to look for on other
hosts. This of course will only help us if our own systems have been
compromised and wouldn't be of any use at all for those boxes not within
our control.

One final note, a friend from Verio suggested that in the above scenario
that this daemon would probaly be using TCP to be communicated with as UDP
is more difficult for alot of people to code.

Rodney L. Caston
Southwestern Bell
Internet Services