Re: FW: Tech contact for Qwest?

  • From: Eric Germann
  • Date: Wed Aug 25 00:03:56 1999

Why'd you have to ask the tech in the first place whether to use a straight
thru or crossover?  Not like you're gonna smoke the hub using the one in
your hand if you'd try it ...

Somethings wrong on both ends if putting a 10BaseT cable between a hub and
router requires a VP's signoff.

Eric

At 08:01 PM 8/24/99 -0400, Dean Robb wrote:

>At 14:03 8/21/99 -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>>
>>On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps if we can get the "higher-ups" to stop hiring noc newbies based on
>>> certs and begin hiring based on raw intelligence...then maybe we can get
>>> the overall clue factor back to a reasonable level.
>>
>>That's true I think.  Most of the people I ask questions of posess neither
>>a CCIE nor a comp-sci degree.  Some do, but not enough to convince me that
>>real-world experience and contact with knowledgeable people isn't a valid
>>"education".  How many folks here that consider themselves a "leader" in
>>net ops at their place of employ were formally educated?
>
>Here's a perfect example of the "Piece of paper means nothing" scenario:
>
>I was on a system deployment today for a national funeral home chain.
>After working with their tech support guy to get the router configured the
>way they wanted it, he told me I needed a crossover cable to connect it to
>the hub.  I disagreed and suggested we at least try to use the normal RJ-45
>I had in my hand.  That got me kicked up one level to another tech who told
>me that the previous tech "had a college degree and is our expert, so go
>get a crossover cable".  Again, I balked and wanted to at least try to
>connect using the cable in my hands.  That got me bumped up again several
>times, eventually coming to the Vice President in charge of the deployment
>who told me "we've got certified experts who say you need that cable so go
>get it!".
>
>(Anyone see this coming?).  I got the cable - and of course it didn't work.
> The normal cable did (DUH!).
>
>So I had 3 "certified" "experts" and a "college degree" who told me that I
>needed something that I didn't - and refused to even *try* it my way; and
>were wrong.
>

>"NSI and ICANN - on the next Springer!"
>
>Dean Robb
>Owner, PC-EASY
>(757) 495-EASY [3279]
>On-site computer repairs, upgrades and consultations
>Senior Reviewer, WWW.TheGamers.Net - an IEN affiliate.

  Eric Germann                                        CCTec
  [email protected]                                 Van Wert, OH 45891
  http://www.cctec.com                                Ph:  419 968 2640
  ICQ:  41927048                                      Fax: 419 968 2641
         Network Design, Connectivity & System Integration Services
                     A Microsoft Solution Provider