Re: Info on MAE-EAST

  • From: dave o'leary
  • Date: Fri Jan 17 20:30:45 1997

At 7:00 -0800 1/16/97, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:
>I can't claim to have recent numbers that suggest otherwise, but, some
>historical information might at least be interesting.  In the early 80s, I
>did a good deal of X.25 capacity planning.  At what was then GTE Telenet,
>we found that up to 50% of our traffic stayed local in large cities.  The
>larger the city, the more that seemed to stay local...this was especially
>obvious in New York, where a great deal of financial data flowed.

remember that in the early 80's you basically couldn't lease a T1
from AT&T (I think it was 82 or so when they were first tariffed?)
(watch out for that DC voltage...ouch! :-).
also DDS services were scarce, etc.  So (expensive) low speed analog
was the option for leased lines - and private networks were rare.
Since then of course the fallout from Judge Greene has changed some
things, and it is cheap and easy to put up a DS0 across town - the
cost justification vs. per packet charges is a lot different.

>Now, these old statistics reflect mainframe-centric traffic, and more
>private-to-private than arbitrary public access.  The latter is much more
>characteristic of Internet traffic.
>
>SNA and X.25 tended to emphasize the ability to fine tune access to a
>limited number of well-known resources, with relatively well-understood
>traffic patterns.  The Internet, however, has emphasized arbitrary and
>flexible connectivity, possibly to the detriment of performance tuning and
>reliability.

well the strategies for performance tuning are certainly different.

[stuff cut]

>Web cacheing would seem to encourage traffic to stay local.

ahhh....yup.

						dave