Re: Info on MAE-EAST

  • From: Howard C. Berkowitz
  • Date: Fri Jan 17 20:24:02 1997

At 2:17 PM -0800 1/17/97, dave o'leary wrote:
>At 7:00 -0800 1/16/97, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:
>>I can't claim to have recent numbers that suggest otherwise, but, some
>>historical information might at least be interesting.  In the early 80s, I
>>did a good deal of X.25 capacity planning.  At what was then GTE Telenet,
>>we found that up to 50% of our traffic stayed local in large cities.  The
>>larger the city, the more that seemed to stay local...this was especially
>>obvious in New York, where a great deal of financial data flowed.
>
>remember that in the early 80's you basically couldn't lease a T1
>from AT&T (I think it was 82 or so when they were first tariffed?)

Dave, reality was funnier than that.  It was 1980 or so when we actually
did get a T1 between Washington and New York, but eventually released it
because all of the DC-NY public network traffic wasn't enough to justify
that HUGE amount of bandwidth.

I did get the first nonmilitary T1 in the DC area in '77 or '78 at the
Library of Congress.  The then C&P Telephone couldn't really figure out how
to charge for it, so we got it dirt cheap -- and it worked very well.

>(watch out for that DC voltage...ouch! :-).

I have a very painful memory of running my finger over a punchdown with
some stranded wire that slightly got loose and broke the skin.  Knocked me
flat and sprained my shoulder.