Re: Inter-exchange media types

  • From: Paul A Vixie
  • Date: Fri May 03 12:47:10 1996

A new stdaddr draft is forthcoming shortly.  This other conversation is of
interest, though.  We're arguing about 100Mb/s interconnect technology as
if we all planned to keep using it for some significant period.  That's not
so.  Two years from now it'll be 622Mb/s or it'll be a dead concept.  PMTUD
matters, and TCP MSS (therefore IP MTU) matters because it will dictate the
frame rate to the routers and the end hosts.  Bytes are cheap, frames cost.