Re: I-D (Re: Out of date contact information )

  • From: Paul A Vixie
  • Date: Fri May 03 13:32:11 1996

I've added SECURITY since we need something like it and this is the name
most people who have it now are using.

I've added ROUTING to do what TROUBLE is often used to do.

Since I agree with Randy than a minimum useful set seems ideal, I've added
a new section ("optional, less well known addresses") with NIC, WWW, NEWS,
LISTOWNER, TROUBLE (no longer "recommended", in favour of ROUTING and NOC),
and HELP.

> From: [email protected] (Peter Kaminski)
>
> Here are a couple more in a similar vein:
>
>       info       Customer Support     automated response
>       sales      Customer Support     directed to sales dept.
>       ftp-admin  Customer Support     FTP administrator

I'll add INFO as a general contact point.  SALES is outside our scope (this
is a technology document after all).  Rather than FTP-ADMIN how about FTP?
I'll make FTP-ADMIN an "optional, less well known address".

> From: David Stoddard <[email protected]>
>
> 	On our net, we have developed a series of role accounts based on
> 	various ways our customers have tried to reach us over the past
> 	three years.  This list is intentionally comprehensive in order to
> 	reach the widest possible audience.  Some folks may find these
> 	useful.  Some of these, including billing, info, and sales, are
> 	used commonly by many providers.
>
> 	Role Account	Aliases		Description
> 	------------	------------	--------------------------------------
> 	postmaster	maiser		SMTP Administration
> 	hostmaster			Domain Contact
> 	gophermaster			Gopher Server Administration
> 	webmaster			Web Server Administration
> 	uucp				UUCP Administration
> 	usenet		news		NNTP Administration
> 	news-request	news-requests	News Group Requests
> 	root		operator	System Administrator
> 			ops
> 	abuse		security	Security Administrator
> 			secure
> 			decode
> 	dns		dnsadmin	Domain Administration
> 	noc		trouble		Network Operations
> 	routes		routing		Routing Administrator
> 	admin		manager		Administrative Management
> 			office
> 	asNNNN				AS Contact (where NNNN is AS number)
> 	billing		bills		Customer Billing
> 	account		accounts	Account Administration
> 			subscribe
> 			subscription
> 	info		information	Automated Info Reply Server
> 			info-request
> 	sales		marketing	Sales and Marketing
> 	support		supports	Customer Support
> 			service
> 			services
> 			help
> 	bounce		test		Mail Test Reflector

Some of those choices are amazing to me, like ABUSE->SECURITY.  I will add
ROOT to the less-well-known table.  I briefly considered adding asNNNN but
I think ROUTING will serve adequately for the purpose of this document.

With this feedback, I believe the document is ready to go to Cynthia.  I'll
send it to the OPS AD's, both of whom have said this thing is reasonable.
Remember that although this started on NANOG, that was because NANOG hosted
a discussion thread that inspired me to write this common knowledge down.
Once IETF gets it, the document's scope becomes international.  Thus, there
will probably be some more addresses added in the first post-Cynthia rev.