Re: Inter-exchange media types

  • From: Jon Zeeff
  • Date: Fri May 03 11:45:33 1996

> smaller packets than they otherwise could.  Some hosts get
> noticeably higher performance when they are able to use FDDI-
> sized packets compared to Ethernet-sized packets, and restricting
> the packet size to 1500 bytes will put a limit on the maximum

Some hard figures on this would be interesting.  Ie, % of packets
with > 1500 MTU, % performance degradation if fragmented, etc.  I
suspect that other backbone design issues (like congestion)
dominate any fragmentation issue.

I'm not sure a few people trying to get a little extra throughput
should dictate the design of a NAP (unless they want to pay for it).